Tuesday, January 25, 2005
Atlas didn't shrug. It was a back spasm.
Out of the 48 contiguous United States and the 11 Provinces of Canada, I have visited 45 and 6, respectively.
I have not been to the Yukon or any of the rest of the northern provinces, and I have missed Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.
I have been to California three times, and have taken distictly different routes to get there each time, and different ways home as well. I have travelled all of the double-digit Interstaes except 10 -- drove on 20 out west, but, sadly, we headed North before we got to Louisiana. I begged and pleaded my father to take us on 20 to I-71 then north back to Cleveland, but no, we didn't have the time to travel the extra 4-500 miles that my choice would have added to the trip. So I still am missing out on those three heart-of-the-South states. I also traveled most of the Trans-Canada highway, only missing British Columbia on that particular looooong stretch of road.
For all this traveling, however, I cannot and refuse to claim to be well-travelled. I have never been to another country except Canada, which, for all intents and purposes is the US's northern states. I have never been to Mexico, I have never flown 'cross an ocean, never sailed the seven seas -- well, I have gone sailing off of Maine, and in Puget Sound in Washington State, so I guess technically I have never sailed five of the seven seas.
But someday I plan to go to Northern Europe and Scandinavia. I have an Uncle living in Sweden who is getting on in years and I'd love to see him one more time, I have cousins whose children I have never met in both Sweden and Norway, and I fully plan to visit the Glenmorangie and Oban distilleries in Scotland before I die.
Now, how can I plan my honeymoon in Florida and still somehow drive through the remaining three states... in six days...
Posted by Anonymous at 1/25/2005 09:48:00 PM ::

0 Comments:


Post a Comment