Sunday, February 06, 2005
The Shadow
I see this guy everywhere. He joined the church I belong to, he seems to work in the building across the street, and he has this bizarre habit of eating lunch the same time and place that I do. He's also got one of those short-cut para-military haircuts that I've always found a bit creepy. The only reason to get your hair cut like that is if you plan to keep your head jammed into a helmet all day.

Anyway, I decided to see if I could throw the guy off for a day. I stopped by my best friend's house the night before and I asked him to come to work with me for the day. He is the same height and almost weight as I am, and I had him wear matching pants and shoes. Once we got to work, I gave him my favorite hat and jacket to wear, and put on the outergear he was wearing, including these ridiculous sunglasses that made me look like Ah-nuld in Terminator. I then sent him off to the west towards the place I normally eat lunch on Thursdays, while I strolled to Eastbound towards the busstop next to the giant tree. I had with me the h the pair of mini-binoculars I bought the year I went to the Super Bowl and had nosebleed-next-to-last-row seats.

Sure enough, he came out of his building not a minute after my buddy left mine and headed in the direction of the diner. He walked about a block, then pulled out his PDA from his coat pocket, looked at the receding back of my friend, then turned and looked towards my building. I jumped onto the Loop bus as it pulled up, but not in time for me to miss the grin appear on my shadow's face as he turned and faced me while reaching for his cell phone.

I mean, just because I'm an outspoken critic of the government and a known -- no, acclaimed -- subversive artist/peace activist... that's no reason for the FBI to tail me, is it?
Posted by Anonymous at 2/06/2005 02:31:00 PM ::

0 Comments:


Post a Comment