Thursday, January 06, 2005
Late For Work (Or, Seeing My Shadow)
I was going to write my punctuality thing tomorrow, and then pretend I was just late getting it in, but y'know, I just don't feel up to a metajoke right now.

I am so miserable. I was 45 minutes late for work this morning. I move slow in the cold. I walk slow, I drive slow, I think slow. I hate Omaha winters. I just spent 10 days in Portland, Oregon, where their idea of winter is 40 degrees and some cold rain. I was staying with some friends there, for the purpose of deciding if I liked the city well enough to move there after I graduate in June. I drove up through Astoria, where the Columbia River meets the Pacific Ocean, and over the Astoria-Megler Bridge. That was the first time I had ever seen the ocean. I've never experienced anything so vast, and so beautiful. I decided, on that bridge, that I had to leave Omaha.

I came back Monday. Tuesday it snowed six inches. Wednesday it snowed twelve inches. It's like Omaha is throwing a tantrum at my decision to leave. "Fine, then! Go!" Omaha says, "Don't let my blizzard hit you on the ass on the way out, loser! Hope you won't be needing that car battery in Portland!" Every time I trudge out the door for my regular faceful of windchill, I renew my vow that this will be my last Omaha winter. It will probably be a long one. Just to spite me.
Posted by Anonymous at 1/06/2005 02:11:00 PM ::

0 Comments:


Post a Comment