Monday, January 17, 2005
A photographer's lament
I know, I know. I promised I would call all these models or email them within 24 hours of your referral. I promised I would take whoever came to me and produce some kind of picture you could use. I promised I would endure no-shows, flip-flops, and bad streak jobs in the service of your tax deduction, I mean talent agency and front for bikini girls. But do I really have to take pictures of 8 year olds? Do I really have to spend an hour or two on a Monday morning after being awakened over and over by my aching, elderly puppy trying not to fall asleep as the little ham over and over puts on the most embarrassing, unattractive expressions, and then have to lie to his mother (who graciously avoided the studio room, supervising her obviously untrustworthy 11 year old) about how grand this kid's prospects are? Do I really have to promise to look through these pictures before I die and burn them to a CD so others can associate my name with pictures of a cheeseball hammy asthmatic kid who can't sit, and can't stand still for more than one picture in a pose at a time? Is this really part of the deal for the lights that don't work well, the use of the studio space that I don't have energy to use for myself, and the experiences, like this one, that should build me into a better photographer but in fact just drag me down into mediocrity and keep me there? Is the only alternative turning into a real camera whore, demanding money commensurate with my debasement, if not my talent?
Posted by BlankPhotog at 1/17/2005 11:56:00 AM ::

0 Comments:


Post a Comment