Thursday, June 29, 2006
Backstage Pass
Ever wonder why the big moments in life always seem so much more memorable, so much more real than the others? I bet you can remember what the house smelled like on that Christmas when you got the bike you'd wanted all year. I bet you can remember the first morning you woke up beside your lover, husband, wife, or child down to the very last mote of sunlight dancing on the carpet.

You want to know why? Its my job. The world isn't built to take the kind of stresses those moments put on it. It wasn't meant for so many people having so many moments. So we have to stretch things a little. The reason you don't remember the unimportant stuff, the journey between two moments is because it never happened. There just isn't enough reality to sustain it for six billion souls.

Don't get me wrong, mind you. It isn't as though you would do much with the memory of those unreal times. Trust me, I know from experience...not that the word means quite what I suspect you've been brought up to understand it as. All you have left at the end of the day...at the end of life...is your experiences. Your Moments. Its all we know how to give you.

They are the only thing in all the universe that is real. Don't loose sight of it, okay? Now, I've got a job to do; that young woman sitting at the table over there is about to get a call from her father, who has been in a coma for the past three months.

I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Posted by Anonymous at 6/29/2006 01:16:00 PM ::

0 Comments:


Post a Comment